Are you or a loved one addicted to opiates? Are you or a family member taking Suboxone/Subutex?

Take my Quiz! How silky are you?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

It's Ok to Be Crunchy But Not ok To Be Silky?

Apparently it's OK to be crunchy. Because being crunchy means you care about the earth. You do your research on vaccines and modern medicine. You do your research on CIO, and co-sleeping.

But, if you are silky and proud of it you are labeling yourself and dividing yourself from other moms. You haven't researched vaccinations if you give them to your child. You are automatically just blindly letting Dr's do whatever they want to your child.

Well, wait a gosh darn minute! Guess what??? I went to school to be a medical assistant. I took classes on Pharmacology and Diseases. Classes on Micro-Biology and Anatomy. I have worked in the field. Tell me again I have not done research, I dare you.

I have done enough research to know that co-sleeping is dangerous and can cause death and SID. But, I have also co-slept, the correct way, and now I CIO with my daughter. I have researched the Ferber method and researched CIO. I don't just stick my daughter in her crib and let her scream for hours.

Moms who parent alike automatically gather together. They feel most comfortable with other moms who agree on their parenting styles and choices. It's not labeling and being cliquey it's being human. And it's life. Let's just accept each other for who we are and how we parent. At this stage of the game you aren't going to change anyone's mind. Let it be, let it be. Let it be, oh, let it be......

3 comments:

  1. When I think of a crunchy mom I picture a hippy in a long, natural fibre skirt, wearing Birkenstocks and picking vegetables from her organic garden.
    I'm happy to be on the "silky" end of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I have people from both (sometimes extreme) ends of the spectrum in my life and I'm pretty sure I'm being watched as to which side I'll "convert" to. I feel like as moms, we don't always get enough credit when we make decisions for our kids. Thankfully I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. I'm a silky mom but with crunchy tendencies :). I understand 'crunchy ways' but don't necessarily like some of the attitudes that come along with that. It's unfortunate that we can't just support each other and our choices, even if they're different from our own.

    ReplyDelete